Idaho is the fastest growing state in the country. With that growth comes several challenges, and at the frontlines for meeting those challenges are the 1,300 separate taxing districts in the state. Many of those districts operate without a clear understanding of what it takes to keep government small, regulations few and taxes low, especially with more and more people moving here and using existing government programs and services.
That’s where Idaho Freedom Foundation comes in. For nearly 10 years, IFF has been the lead voice in the state when it comes to improving public policy so that everyone—from ordinary taxpayers to big businesses—can thrive and be successful. Our focus has been primarily at the state government level, but now, we plan to branch out and spread our message of free markets and limited government to city halls, county courthouses, school boards and other governing bodies throughout Idaho. To that end, IFF seeks a fulltime Local Government Policy Researcher.
The Local Government Policy Researcher will:
- Keep watch on local governments throughout Idaho, paying particular attention to policies that might impact the free market, individual liberty, or taxes.
- Provide policy solutions to strategically-selected city council members, mayors, school board members, county commissioners and other local elected officials.
- Provide public testimony, when appropriate at meetings of governing bodies.
- Review selected local government budgets, contracts, and other documents to ensure taxpayer money is spent appropriately.
- Work with the IFF legislative team, state lawmakers and the governor on improving local government policies and reducing regulations.
- Take on other duties as assigned to advance the mission at IFF. This will include working collaboratively with our communications and development teams as needed.
The ideal candidate for this position will:
- Be aligned ideologically with IFF, believing in the importance of limited government and free markets.
- Be able to work independently and in a team, and meet deadlines.
- Have a hunger for solving problems using the free market.
- Have a healthy skepticism of government-proposed solutions and a willingness to both criticize public officials and assist them in reaching a positive outcome.
- Be curious, ask questions, seek knowledge, and be willing to discover new things almost daily.
- Have expertise on local government matters or be willing and able to acquire the knowledge to become an expert.
- Have solid writing skills.
- Be able to crunch numbers, read contracts, statutes, and ordinances and disseminate that information to a wide audience.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your full name in the file name:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position and salary requirements
Please include “IFF local government policy researcher” in the subject line of your email. Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Amber Highburger: [email protected]. Applications not sent to this email address may not be considered. While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.