First Amendment – Young Americans for Liberty and Boise State University
Idaho Freedom Foundation, Foundation for Individual Rights in Education and ACLU of Idaho expressed concerns over Boise State University’s handling of an event sponsored by the Young Americans for Liberty (YAL). YAL brought a speaker, Dick Heller, to the campus to discuss his successful lawsuit challenging a gun registration law in Washington, D.C., and to express his support for Second Amendment gun rights.
YAL was charged an additional $465 for security purposes, information about the event was removed from BSU websites and literature was denied approval.
Boise State has agreed to work with IFF and ACLU of Idaho to revise its policies. The university has suspended several policies as well until revisions have been made.
- Idaho Freedom Foundation’s letter to Boise State University
- Foundation for Individual Rights in Education’s letter to Boise State University
- ACLU of Idaho’s letter to Boise State University
Blog Posts / Commentary
- Issues with Boise State’s speech policies have nothing to do with guns via IdahoFreedom.org
- After Refunding Unconstitutional Security Fees, Boise State Defends Policies—Poorly via TheFire.org
- Boise State U. Charged Libertarian Students Gigantic ‘Security Fee’ to Host Pro-Gun Speaker via Reason.com
- BSU should examine its First Amendment policies via IdahoFreedom.org
- Concern Mounts Over Boise State’s Speech Policies via TheFire.org
- Call the cops: Someone might be carrying or packing a knitting needle via IdahoFreedom.org
- Student liberty group says Boise State treated it unfairly with an extra security fee via IdahoReporter.com
- Boise State University accused of free speech violations via IdahoReporter.com
- BSU: No response to lawsuit threat over gun speech … yet via IdahoReporter.com
- ACLU joins other liberty groups in BSU First Amendment fight via IdahoReporter.com
- FORCED TO PAY SECURITY FEE FOR GUN-RIGHTS EVENT, STUDENTS DEMAND REFUND via TheCollegeFix.com
- Correction: Boise State-Security Fine story via the Houston Chronicle
- Free Speech In The Heartland: ACLU, ADF Call “Foul” Over University’s Treatment Of The First Amendment via TownHall.com
- BSU faces possible lawsuit after gun rights event via Local News 8 Jackson, Wyoming
- Correction: Boise State-Security Fine story via the San Francisco Gate
- BSU faces possible lawsuit after gun rights event via KTVB Channel 7 Boise, Idaho
- Boise State Faces Possible Lawsuit Over Gun-Rights Event via Boise Weekly
- ACLU joins Idaho Freedom Foundation’s objections to Boise State event policies via The Daily Journal
This case did not result in legal litigation.